Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Welcome to the Federation University Library. The Library contributes to research achievement at Federation University by
- facilitating access to high quality information resources relevant to your research
- providing services and programs which increase accessibility and citation of your research
Are you ready to research?
Use the ready-to-research checklist to see if you're ready and to find out what help the Library can give you.
Individual consultations with a Liaison Librarian are available to all HDR students and research staff (scroll down to Research, Learning and Liaison Team).
A Liaison Librarian can:
- introduce you to Library services and resources which support research
- help you select appropriate databases and search them effectively
- provide advice on how you can save and reuse your searches
- show you how to keep up to date using automated alerts
- help you to manage your references with EndNote
- highlight the tools available to measure research impact
Research students are strongly advised to make an appointment with a Liaison Librarian early in the research process, to ensure an effective plan for searching the literature and managing references.
To request an individual consultation you can use the appointment scheduler below:
Schedule an appointment
If the times suggested by the scheduler do not suit, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call 1300 552 567 to arrange an appointment at a mutually convenient time.
You should also look at:
At an early stage in your research, you should also be familiar with this guide:
Researcher skills sessions
Click on the titles below to reveal information about Library services to research students and staff.
HDR and postgraduate* borrowing
To borrow from the Library, you must have your current University student or staff ID card.
* Federation postgraduate students include graduate certificate, graduate diploma, honours, masters and PhD students.
|Number of items
||A combined total of 100 items from across the campus libraries may be on loan at any one time.
||42 days (6 weeks), except multimedia items which are a 14 day loan
|Number of renewals
||20, if nobody else requests the item
|Grace period before penalties apply
||The Library does not issue fines, but it has a demerit points system which can affect your borrowing.
- 1 demerit point per item per day it is overdue
- 40 demerit points = 2 week suspension
- 80 demerit points = 4 week suspension
Please note that Journals and Reference material are not available for loan.
If an item you require is not available at the Federation Library, Document Delivery will identify the libraries that have it and request it for you.
While Document Delivery does request books, the service is usually used for access to journal articles, theses and other, more difficult items to source. Click here for further information about Document Delivery services.
Other research-related info
- Elsevier Researcher Academy - e-learning resources designed to support researchers through their research journey.
This resource is designed by Elsevier (although they state the content is vendor neutral) and includes information on a wide variety of topics from research preparation through to publishing. Free sign-up required for full access.
- The Australian Code for the Responsible Conduct of Research - the responsibilities of individual researchers and of institutions where research is conducted.
For funding opportunities, non-Library research support, and other information, see: