Creating and using groups
You can create a group in two ways:
- From the Groups menu, select Create Group. A text box appears in the left of the screen, under My Groups. Enter a name for the group and press Enter.
- Select one or more references. Click Groups ► Add References To ► Create Custom Group. Enter a name for the group in the text box and press Enter.
You can add references to a group in two ways:
- Select the references to add to a group. Click Groups ► Add References To, then select the group.
- Select the references to add to a group. Drag and drop the selected references onto a group.
- Note. If the reference is already in the group, it won’t be added again.
Removing references from a group
- Select the reference(s) to be deleted from within the group.
- Hit the ‘Delete’ key
- Click Groups ► Remove References from Group.
Note. Neither method will remove the reference(s) from the
All References group.
Deleting a group
To delete a group first select it, then click Groups ► Delete Group. As deletion cannot be undone, a warning message appears. However, the references will remain in All References (the main library).
Smart groups and group sets
From the Groups menu you can also:
- create Smart Groups, which automatically file references according to your pre-set criteria.
- arrange groups in Group Sets, as shown in the image above, in which a group set (e.g. Journal articles, in screenshot above) is like a drawer of a filing cabinet, and the groups beneath (e.g. chocolate and cognition) are the folders in that drawer.
- See EndNote’s help file for more information