Delete multiple duplicates
If you have a lot of duplicates, you can delete them all at once.
- Click References ► Find Duplicates
- The same pop-up window showing two duplicate references will appear. Instead of selecting which record to keep, click Cancel.
- The window will disappear. A temporary folder called Duplicate References will have appeared on the left-hand side.
- On the main screen, all but one record for each reference should be highlighted.
- Click References ► Move References to Trash. The highlighted duplicate references will move to the Trash folder, leaving one copy of each in the temporary Duplicate References folder and the All References folder.
- Note that records are compared only by primary author, year of publication, and title, so extra details might be in the record that is deleted. In the screenshot above, for example, EndNote will delete two records with PDF documents attached, which is probably not desired. By holding down Ctrl (or Cmmd on a Mac) you can toggle the selection of individual records on and off, to change which records are selected for deletion.
Note. If your trash builds up with deleted references, click References ► Empty Trash. However, if the folder is not too unwieldy, there is no harm in leaving the deleted references in the Trash folder.